Steven Woolf, M.D., M.P.H.
Director, VCU Center for Human Needs
Phone: (804) 628-2462
Areas of interest
- Health services research
- Evidence-based medicine
- Health promotion and disease prevention
- Social justice and health disparities
- Consults with government agencies and professional organizations on health policy, critical appraisal of evidence and matters related to preventive medicine
- M.D. – Emory University, Atlanta, Ga.
- Residency, family medicine – Fairfax Family Medicine Residency, Fairfax, Va.
- Residency, preventive medicine and public health – Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Md.
- M.P.H. – Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Md.
- Family medicine
- Preventive medicine and public health
- Author of more than 120 articles and two books
- Founded a practice-based research network in 1996
- Established a center to study the influence of social determinants of health
- Scientific adviser and member of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force
- Consulted in Europe as a visiting scholar
- Past North American editor of the British Medical Journal
- Elected to the Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences in 2001