The following research has been published by members of the Department of Family Medicine and Population Health
- Friedman A, Hahn KA, Etz R, Rehwinkel-Morfe AM, Miller WL, Nutting PA, Jaén CR, Shaw EK, Crabtree BF. A Typology of primary care workforce innovations in the United States since 2000. Med Care. 2013 Dec 26. [Epub ahead of print]
- George JN, Vesely SK, Woolf SH. Conflicts of interest and clinical recommendations: comparison of two concurrent clinical practice guidelines for primary immune thrombocytopenia developed by different methods. AM J Med Qual. 2013 Apr 2. [Epub ahead of print]
- Goldberg DG, Beeson T, Kuzel AJ, Love LE, Carver MC. Team-based care: a critical element of primary care practice transformation. Popul Health Manag. 2013 Jun;16(3):150-6.
- Goldberg DG, Mick SS, Kuzel AJ, Feng LB, Love LE. Why do some primary care practices engage in practice improvement efforts whereas others do not? Health Serv Res. 2013 Apr;48(2 Pt 1):398-416.
- Kerns JW, Krist AH, Longo DR, et al. How patients want to engage with their personal health record: a qualitative study. BMJ Open 2013;3:e002931.
- Krist AH. Designing a valid randomized pragmatic primary care implementation trial: the my own health report (MOHR) project. Implement Sci. 2013 Jun 25;8:73.
- Krist AH, Shenson D, Woolf SH, Bradley C, Liaw WR, Rothemich SF, Slonim A, Benson W, Anderson LA. Clinical and community delivery systems for preventive care: an integration framework. Am J Prev Med. 2013 Oct;45(4):508-16.
- Krist AH, Glenn BA, Glasgow RE, Balasubramanian BA, Chambers DA, Fernandez ME, Heurtin-Roberts S, Kessler R, Ory MG, Phillips SM, Ritzwoller DP, Roby DH, Rodriguez HP, Sabo RT, Sheinfeld Gorin SN, Stange KC; MOHR Study Group. Designing a valid randomized pragmatic primary care implementation trial: the my own health report (MOHR) project. Implement Sci. 2013 Jun 25;8:73.
- Mazmanian PE, Coe AB, Evans JA, Longo DR, Wright BA. Are researcher development interventions, alone or in any combination, effective in improving researcher behavior? a systematic review. Eval Health Prof. 2013 Nov 8. [Epub ahead of print]
- Quillin JM, Krist AH, Gyure M, Corona R, Rodriguez V, Borzelleca J, Bordutha JN. Patient-reported hereditary breast and ovarian cancer in a primary care practice. J Community Genet. 2013 July 20 [Epub ahead of print]
- Shaw EK, Howard J, Clark EC, Etz RS, Arya R, Tallia AF. Decision-making processes of patients who use the emergency department for primary care needs. J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2013 Aug;24(3):1288-305.
- Taylor KL, Williams RM, Davis K, Luta G, Penek S, Barry S, Kelly S, Tomko C, Schwartz M, Krist AH, Woolf SH, Fishman MB, Cole C, Miller E. Decision making in prostate cancer screening using decision aids vs usual care: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Intern Med. 2013 Oct 14;173(18):1704-12
- Woolf SH, Aron LY. The US health disadvantage relative to other high-income countries: findings from a national research council/institute of medicine report. JAMA. 2013 Feb 27;309(8):771-2.
- Woolf SH. Severing the link between coverage policy and the US Preventive Services Task Force. JAMA. 2013 May 8;309(18):1899-900.
- Woolf SH, Orleans CT, Green BB, Curry S, Thompson RS, Bauman A, Wallace RB. Transforming preventive medicine science, practice, education, and policy: looking back at the last 20 years of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine. Am J Prev Med. 2013 Dec;45(6):678-86.
- Adams K, Bayliss E, Blumenthal D, Boyd C, Guralnik J, Krist AH, LaCroix A, Patrick DL, Reuben D, Tinetti M, Wallace RB, Ware JE, Wolff JL. Universal health outcome measures for older persons with multiple chronic conditions. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2012 Dec; 60(12):2333-41.
- Estabrooks PA, Boyle M, Emmons KM, Glasgow RE, Hesse BW, Kaplan RM, Krist AH, Moser RP, Taylor MV. Harmonized patient-reported data elements in the electronic health record: supporting meaningful use by primary care action on health behaviors and key phychosocial factors. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2012 April 17. [Epub ahead of print]
- Fernald DH, Dickinson LM, Froshaug DB, Balasubramanian BA, Holtrop JS, Krist AH, Glasgow RE, Green LA. Improving multiple health risk behaviors in primary care: lessons from the prescription for health common measures, better outcomes (COMBO) study. J Am Board Fam Med. 2012 Sep;25(5):701-11.
- Goetz Goldberg D, Kuzel AJ, Feng LB, DeShazo JP, Love LE. EHRs in primary care practices: benefits, challenges, and successful strategies. Am J Manag Care. 2012 Feb 1;18(2):e48-54.
- Krist AH, Woolf SH, Rothemich SF, Johnson RE, Peele JE, Cunningham TD, Longo DR, Bellow GA, Matzke GR. Interactive preventive health record enhance delivery of recommended care: a randomized trail.* Ann Fam Med. 2012 Jul;10(4):312-9.
- Krist AH, Rothemich SF, Kashiri PL, Etz RS, Bello G, Johnson RE, Peele E, Woolf SH, Loomis J, Schmidt K, Mitchell S, Hayes M, Longo DR, Kuzel AJ. A handbook for using patient-centered interactive personal health records to promote prevention.* AHRQ Publication No. 12-0051-EF. June 2012.
*Media coverage: Reuters, FOX News, Chicago Tribune, News-Medical, iHealthBeat, Fiercehealth IT, MedicalXpress, Medline Plus, Science Daily, Science Newsline, Medical News Today, Science Codex, Bio-Medicine
- Krist AH, Woolf SH, Rothemich SF, Johnson RE, Peele JE, Cunningham TD, Longo DR, Bello GA, Matzke GR. Interactive preventive health record to enhance delivery of recommended care: a randomized trial. Ann Fam Med. 2012 Jul-Aug;10(4):312-9.
- Manne S, Etz RS, Hudson SV, Medina-Forrester A, Boscarino JA, Bowen DJ, Weinberg DS. A qualitative analysis of couples' communication regarding colorectal cancer screening using the Interdependence Model. Patient Educ Couns. 2012 April;87(1):18-22: Epub 2011 Aug 10.
- Shaw EK, Howard J, Etz RS, Hudson VS, Crabtree BF. How team-based reflection affects quality improvement implementation: a qualitative study. Qual Manag Health Care. 2012 Apr;21(2):104-13.
Sweeney SA, Bazemore A, Phillips RL Jr, Etz RS, Stange KC. A reemerging political space for linking person and community through primary health care. Am J Public Health 2012 Jun;102 Suppl 3:S336-41.
Sweeney SA, Bazemore A, Phillips RL Jr, Etz RS, Stange KC. A re-emerging political space for linking person and community through primary health care. Am J Prev Med 2012 Jun;42(6 Suppl 2):S184-90.
- Thomson MD, Siminoff LA, Longo DR. Internet use for prediagnosis symptom appraisal by colorectal cancer patients. Health Educ Behav. 2012 Oct;39(5):583-8
- Woolf SH, Harris R. The harms of screening: new attention to an old concern. JAMA. 2012 Feb 8;307(6):565-6.
- Woolf SH. The price of false beliefs: unrealistic expectations as a contributor to health care crisis. Am Fam Med. 2012 Nov-Dec; 10(6):491-4. Erratum in: Ann Fam Med,. 2013 Jan-Feb;11(1):4.
- Braveman PA, Egerter SA, Woolf SH, Marks JS. When do we know enough to recommend action on the social determinants of health? Am J Prev Med 2011 Jan;40(1 Suppl 1):S58-66.
- Cohen DJ, Balasubramanian BA, Isaacson NF, Clark EC, Etz RS, Crabtree BF. Coordination of health behavior counseling in primary care. Ann Fam Med. 2011 Sep-Oct;9(5):406-15.
- Crosson JC, Etz RS, Wu S, Straus SG, Eisenman D, Bell DS. Meaningful use of electronic prescribing in 5 exemplar primary care practices. Ann Fam Med. 2011 Sep-Oct;9(5)392-7.
- Crouse M, Flack D. Kerns JW, Martin L, Pham D, Sudireddy R, Knight. Which medications benefit patients with diastolic heart failure. J Fam Pract. 2011 Feb;60(2):101-2, 108.
- Davis K, Haisfield L, Dorfman C, Krist A. Taylor KL. Physicians' attitudes about shared decision making for prostate cancer screening. Fam Med. 2011 April;43(4):260-6.
- Dovey S, Hall K, Makham M, Rosser W, Kuzel A, Van Weel C, Esmail A, Phillips R. Seeking ethical approval for an international study. Br J Gen Practc. 2011 Apr;61(585):197-204.
- Katerndahl DA, Longo DR, Griswold K. Issues important to the mentoring relationship. Fam Med. 2011 Mar;43(3):193-7.
- Krist AH, Woolf SH. A vision for patient-centered information systems. JAMA 2011 Jan 19;305(3): 300-1.
- Krist AH, Woolf SH, Rothemich SF, Longo DR, Johnson RE, Matzke G, Peele E, Mitchell SW, Hayes MS, Cunningham T, Ghalib B. Patients take a bite of prevention apple with web-based interactive personal health record. AHRQ Publication No. 11-0081-1-EF. August 2011.
- Krist AH, Peele E, Woolf SH, Rothemich SF, Loomis JF, Longo DR, Kuzel AJ. Designing a patient-centered personal health record to promote preventive care. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2011 Nov 24;11:73.
- Kuzel AJ. Keys to high-functioning office teams. Fam Pract Manag. 2011 May-June;18(3):15-8.
- Kuzel A, James P; Association of Departments of Family Medicine (ADFM). Research development stories from 7 departments of family medicine: 7 lessons for all departments. Ann Fam Med. 2011 Jul-Aug;9(4):373-4.
- Lesser LI, Krist AH, Kamerow DB, Bazemore AW. Comparison between US Preventive Services Task Force recommendations and Medicare coverage. Ann Fam Med. 2011 Jan-Feb;9(1):44-9.
- Longo DR, Katerndahl DA, Turban DB, Griswold K, Ge B, Hewett JE, Dougherty TW, Schubert S. The research mentoring relationship in family medicine: findings from the grant generating project. Fam Med. 2011 Apr;43(4):240-7.
- Longo DR. Patient use of health information: a call for a research agenda. [e-letter], Annals of Family Medicine (http://www.annfammed.org/cgi/eletters/8/4/334). 22 March 2011.
- Longo DR. Hospital competition, public reports, and quality of care: toward good social welfare policy. [e-letter], British Medical Journal (http://www.bmj.com/content/343/bmj.d4898/reply). 3 August 2011.
- Minsky S, Etz RS, Gara M, Escobar JI. Service use among patients with serious mental illnesses who presented with physical symptons at intake. Psychiatr Serv. 2011 Oct;62(10):1146-51.
- Radina ME, Ginter AC, Brandt J, Swaney J, Longo DR. Breast cancer patients' use of health information in decision making and coping. Cancer Nurs. 2011 Sep-Oct;34(5):E1-12.
- Rothemich SF, Strayer SM. Let quitlines assist you in helping more smokers quit. Am Fam Physician. 2011 Jul 15;84(2):162-4.
- Siminoff LA, Rogers HL, Waller AC, Harris-Haywood S, Epstein RM, Borrell Carrio F, Gliva-McConvey G, Longo DR. The advantages and challenges of unannounced standardized patients methodology to assess healthcare communication. Patient Educ Couns. 2011 Mar;82(3):318-24.
- Shekelle PG, Woolf SH, Eccles M, Grimshaw J, Schunemann H. Developing Guidelines. Commissioned background paper for: Institute of Medicine. Clinical Practice Guidelines We Can Trust. Committee on Standards for Developing Trustworthy Clinical Practice Guidelines, Board of Health Care Services. Washington, DC: National Academy Press, 2011.
- Woolf SH, Braveman P. Where health disparities begin: the role of social and economic determinants--and why current policies may make matters worse. Health Aff (Millwood). 2011 Oct;30(10):1852-9.
- Woolf SH. Public health implications of government spending reductions. JAMA 2011 May;305(18):1902-3.
- Woolf SH, Dekker MM, Byrne FR, Miller WD. Citizen-centered health promotion: building collaborations to facilitate healthy living. Am J Prev Med 2011 Jan;40(1S1):S38–47.
Dorfman CS, Williams RM, Kassan EC, Red SN, Dawson DL, Tuong W, Parker ER, Ohene-Frempong J, Davis KM, Krist AH, Woolf SH, Schwartz MD, Fishman M, Cole C, Taylor KL. The development of a web- and a print-based decision aid for prostate cancer screening education. BMC Medical Inform Decis Mak. 2010 Mar 3;10:12.
Jones RM, Devers KJ, Kuzel AK, Woolf SH. Patient-reported barriers to colorectal cancer screening: a mixed methods analysis . Am J Prev Med. 2010 May;38(5):508-16.
Jones RM, Woolf SH, Cunningham TD, Johnson RE, Krist AH, Rothemich S, Vernon SW. The relative importance of patient-reported barriers to colorectal cancer screening. Am J Prev Med. 2010 May,38(5):499-507. Epub 2010 Mar 28.
Jones RM, Vernon SW, Woolf SH. Is discussion of colorectal cancer screening options associated with heightened patient confusion? Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2010 Nov;19(11):2821-5. Epub 2010 Sep 17.
Krist AH, Cifuenties M, Dodoo MS. Green LA. Measuring primary care expenses. J Am Board Fam Med. 2010 May-Jun;23(3):376-83.
Krist AH, Woolf SH, Johnson RE, Rothemich SF, Cunningham TD, Jones RM, Wilson DB, Devers KJ. Patient costs as a barrier to intensive health behavior counseling. Am J Prev Med. 2010; Mar; 38(3):344-8.
- Kuzel AJ, Engel JD. Restoring primary care: reframing relationships and redesigning practice. Oxford: Radcliffe, 2010.
- Kuzel AJ. Commentary 1: the importance of expertise. Qual Health Res. 2010 Nov;20(11):1464-5
Longo DR, Schubert SL, Wright BA, LeMaster J, Williams CD, Clore JN. Health information seeking, receipt, and use in diabetes self-management. Ann Fam Med. 2010 Jul-Aug;8(4):334-34.
Longo DR. Tobacco advertising and the art and science of persuasion. The Pantaneto Forum, Issue 40:October 2010.
Rothemich SF, Woolf SH, Johnson RE, Devers KJ, Flores SK, Villars P, Rabius V, McAfee T. Promoting primary care smoking cessation support with quitlines: the QuitLink randomized controlled trial. Am J Prev Med. 2010 Apr;38(4):367-74.
Wilson DB, Johnson RE, Jones RM, Krist AH, Woolf SH, Flores SK. Patient weight counseling choices and outcomes following a primary care and community collaborative intervention. Patient Educ Couns 2010 Jun;79(3):338-43. Epub 2010 Mar 24.
Woolf SH, Jones RM, Johnson RE, Phillips RL Jr, Oliver MN, Vichare A. Avertable deaths in Virginia associated with areas of reduced household income. Am J Public Health 2010 Apr;100(4):750-5. Epub 2010 Feb 18.
Woolf SH. The 2009 breast cancer screening recommendations of the U.S. preventive services task force. JAMA. 2010 Jan 13;303(2):162-3.
Woolf SH. The price paid for not preventing diseases. In: Yong PL, Saunders RS, Olsen LA, eds. The Healthcare Imperative: Lowering Costs and Improving Outcomes. Workshop Series Summary. Washington, DC, National Academy Press, 2010.
- Bullock L, Everett KD, Mullen PD, Geden E, Longo DR, Madsen R. Baby BEEP: a randomized controlled trial of nurses' individualized social support for poor rural pregnant smokers. Matern Child Health J. 2009 May;13(3):395-406.
Craver GA, Longo, DR. Using instrumental variables regression to evaluate Medicaid disease management program effectiveness: an exploratory analysis. The Journal of Health Care Finance 2009;36(1):15-30.
- Goldberg DG, Kuzel AJ. Elements of the patient-centered medical home in family practices in Virginia. Ann Fam Med. 2009 Jul-Aug:7(4):301-8.
Kuzel AJ, Skoch EM. Achieving a patient centered medical home as determined by the NCQA: at what cost, and to what purpose? Annals of Family Medicine. 2009 Jan-Feb;7(1)85-6.
- Kuzel AJ. Ten steps to a patient-centered medical home. Fam Pract Manag. 2009 Nov-Dec;16(6):18-24.
Longo, DR, Ge B, Radina ME, Greiner A, Williams CD, Longo GS, Mouzon DM, Natale-Pereira A, Salas-Lopez D. Understanding breast cancer patients’ perceptions regarding health information-seeking behavior and passive information receipt. Journal of Communication in Healthcare, May 2009; 2(2):184:206.
Longo DR, Rothemich SF, Krist AH, Flores SK, Loney SJ, Fraizer CO, Elder N, Wright BA. Quality performance monitoring data collection and reporting: report of experiences from primary care practices in the Virginia Ambulatory Care Outcomes Network (ACORN). Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, 2009.
Longo DR. Research capacity building in family medicine: the impact of the grant generating project. Annals of Family Medicine, November/December 2009:7:568-569.
Woolf SH, Phillips RL, Jr. Social determinants of health: their influence on personal choice, environmental exposures, and health care. In: Scutchfield FD, Keck W, eds. Principles of Public Health Practice, 3rd ed. Clifton Park, NY: Delmar Learning, 2009.
Woolf SH. Social policy as health policy. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2009; 301:1166-9.
Woolf SH. A closer look at the economic argument for disease prevention. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2009;301(5):536-8.
Woolf SH, Krist AH. Shared decision making for prostate cancer screening: do patients or clinicians have a choice? Arch Int Med 2009; 169(17):1557-9.
Woolf SH, Jones RM, Rothemich SF, Krist AH. The priority is screening, not colonoscopy Am J Public Health 2009; 99(12):2117-8.
Woolf SH, Husten CG, Lewin LS, Marks JS, Fielding JE, Sanchez EJ. The economic argument for disease prevention: dstinguishing between value and savings: a prevention policy paper commissioned by Partnership for Prevention. Washington, D.C., February 2009.
- Dodoo MS, Krist AH, Cifuentes M, Green LA. Start up and incremental practice expenses for behavior change interventions in primary care. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2008; 35(5 Suppl):S423-30.
- Etz RS, Cohen DJ, Woolf SH, Holtrop JS, Donahue KE, Isaacson NF, Stange KC, Ferrer RL, Olson AL. Bridging primary care practices and communities to promote healthy behaviors. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2008;35(5 Suppl):S390-7.
- Guirguis-Blake J, Krist AH. “Laboratory screening tests.” In: Woolf SH, Jonas S, eds. Health Promotion and Disease Prevention in Clinical Practice. Second edition ed. Philadelphia PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008, pp. 89-125.
- Kerns JW, Krist AH, Woolf SH, Johnson RE. Do residents communicate competently with patients? A comparison of how resident and faculty physicians approach shared decision-making for prostate cancer. Family Medicine. 2008; 40(3):181-7.
- Kerns JW, Krist AH, Woolf SH, Flores SK, Johnson RE. Patient perceptions of how physicians communicate during prostate cancer screening discussions: a comparison of residents and faculty. Family Medicine. 2008;40:181-7.
- Kottke TE, Solberg LI, Nelson AF, Belcher DW, Caplan W, Green LW, Lydick E, Magid DJ, Rolnick SJ, Woolf SH. Optimizing practice through research: a new perspective to solve an old problem. Annals of Family Medicine. 2008;6:459-62.
- Krist AH, Woolf SH, Frazier CO, Johnson RE, Rothemich SF, Wilson DB, Devers KJ, Kerns JW. An electronic linkage system for health behavior counseling: effect on delivery of the "5As." American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2008; 35(5 Suppl):S350-8.
- Krist AH, Guirguis-Blake J. History. In: Woolf SH, Jonas S, eds. Health Promotion and Disease Prevention in Clinical Practice. Second edition ed. Philadelphia PA: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2008.
- Krist AH, Guirguis-Blake J. Physical. In: Woolf SH, Jonas S, eds. Health Promotion and Disease Prevention in Clinical Practice. Second edition ed. Philadelphia PA: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2008.
- Krist AH, McCormally T. What to do with abnormal screening test results. In: Woolf SH, Jonas S, eds. Health Promotion and Disease Prevention in Clinical Practice. Second edition ed. Philadelphia PA: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2008.
- Krist AH, Guirguis-Blake J, Woolf SH. The history: what to ask about. In: Woolf SH, Jonas S, Kaplan-Liss E, eds. Health Promotion and Disease Prevention in Clinical Practice, 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer-Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2008, pp. 24-49.
- Krist AH, Guirguis-Blake J, Woolf SH, Lawrence RS. The physical examination: where to look for preclinical disease. In: Woolf SH, Jonas S, Kaplan-Liss E, eds. Health Promotion and Disease Prevention in Clinical Practice, 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer-Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2008, pp. 50-88.
- Kuzel AJ. Afterword. Narrative in health care: healing patients, practitioners, profession, and community. Engel J, Zarconi J, Pethtel L, Missimi S. Oxford: Routledge, 2008. (narrative medicine, patient safety, practice redesign, health system reform)
- Kuzel AJ. A tribute to Egon Guba, PhD. Qualitative Inquiry. 2008 Dec; 14(8):1368-9. (qualitative research)
- Patrick K, Scutchfield FD, Woolf SH. External validity reporting in prevention research. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2008;34:260-2.
- Rothemich SF, Woolf SH, Johnson RE, Burgett AE, Flores SK, Marsland DW, Ahluwalia JS. Effect on cessation counseling of documenting smoking status as a routine vital sign: an ACORN study. Annals of Family Medicine. 2008;6(1):60-8.
- Stange KC, Woolf SH. Policy options in support of high-value preventive care: a prevention policy paper commissioned by Partnership for Prevention. Washington, DC: Partnership for Prevention, 2008.
- Woolf SH, Nestle M. Do dietary guidelines explain the obesity epidemic? American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2008;34:263-5.
- Woolf SH. The meaning of translational research and why it matters. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2008;299:211-213.
- Woolf SH. The power of prevention and what it requires. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2008;299:2437-9.
- Woolf SH, Jonas S, Kaplan-Liss E, eds. Health promotion and disease prevention in clinical practice, 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer-Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2008.
- Woolf SH. Principles of risk assessment. In: Woolf SH, Jonas S, Kaplan-Liss E, eds. Health promotion and disease prevention in clinical practice, 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer-Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2008, pp. 3-23.
- Woolf SH. Self-examination of the breasts, testes, and skin. In: Woolf SH, Jonas S, Kaplan-Liss E, eds. Health Promotion and Disease Prevention in Clinical Practice, 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer-Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2008, pp. 333-345.
- Bradley EH, Curry LA, Devers KJ. Qualitative data analysis for health services research: developing taxonomy, themes and theory. Health Services Research. 2007 Jan 24.
- Everett KD, Bullock L, Longo DR, Gage J, Madsen R. Men's tobacco and alcohol use during and after pregnancy. AM J Mens Health. 2007 Dec; 1(4):317-25.
- Krist AH, Woolf SH, Johnson RE. How physicians approach prostate cancer screening before and after losing a lawsuit. Annals of Family Medicine. 2007 Mar-Apr; 5(2):120-5.
- Krist AH, Woolf SH, Johnson RE, Kerns JW. Patient education on prostate cancer screening and involvement in decision making. Annals of Family Medicine. 2007 Mar-Apr; 5(2):112-9.
- Krist AH, Jones RM, Woolf SH, Woessner S, Merenstein D, Kerns JW, Foliaco W, Jackson P. Timing of repeat colonoscopy: disparity between guidelines and endoscopists' recommedation. Ann J Pre Med 2007 Dec;33(6): 471-8.
- Longo DR, Hewitt JE, Ge B, Schubert S. Rural hospital patient safety systems implementation in two states. Journal of Rural Health. 2007 Summer;23(3):189-97.
- Longo DR, Hewitt JE, Ge B, Schubert S. Hospital patient safety: characteristics of best-performing hospitals. Journal of Healthcare Management. 2007 May-June; 52(3):188-204; discussion 204-5.
- Wilson DB, McClish DK, Heckman CJ, Obando CP, Dahman BA. Parental smoking, closeness to parents and youth smoking. American Journal of Health Behavior. 2007 May-June; 31(3):261-71.
- Woolf SH, Johnson RE, Phillips RL, Philipsen M. Giving everyone the health of the educated: an examination of whether social change would save more lives than medical advances. American Journal of Public Health. 2007 Apr; 97(4):679-83. Epub2007 Feb 28.
- Woolf SH. Potential health and economic consequences of misplaced priorities. JAMA. 2007 Feb 7; 297(5):523-6.
- Abernathy H, Cho C, Delanoy A, Khan O, Kerns JW, Knight K, Diehr S. Clinical inquiries. What nonpharmacological treatments are effective against common nongenital warts? The Journal of Family Practice. 2006 Sep; 55(9):801-2.
- Everett KD, Bullock L, Longo DR. Addressing the insidious health and financial burden of tobacco use in Missouri: the role of medical and public health professionals. Mo Med. 2006 Mar-Apr;103(2):175-9.
- Everett KD, Bullock L, Gage JD, Longo DR, Geden E., Madsen R. Health risk behavior of rural low-income expectant fathers. Public Health Nursing. 2006 Jul-Aug; 23(4):297-306.
- Everett KD, Longo DR, Rodgers S, Bullock L, Zaniletti I, Hewitt J. Community support of clean indoor air policies in mid-Missouri. Missouri Medicine. 2006 Nov-Dec; 103(6):599-6000.
- Kuzel AJ, Diaz V, Devers K. The UK national health service and pay-for-performance: lessons for the United States. Annals of Family Medicine. 2006 May-June; 4(3):275-6.
- Kerns JW, White A, Nashelsky J, Sherman S. Does psychiatric treatment help patients with intractable chronic pain? J Fam Pract. 2006 Mar;55(3):235-6.
- Jones RM, Johnson RE, Rothemich SF, Woolf SH. Colorectal cancer screening adherence in a diverse patient population. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2006. 161(11 Suppl):S107.
- Longo DR, Stone TT, Phillips RL, Everett KD, Kruse RL, Jaen CR, Hewett JE. Characteristics of smoking cessation guideline use by primary care physicians. Missouri Medicine. 2006 Mar-Apr; 103(2):180-4.
- Longo DR, Hewitt JE, Ge B, Schubert S. The long road to patient safety: a status report on Missouri acute-care hospitals. Missouri Medicine. 2006 Sept-Oct; 103 (5):545-52.
- Longo DR. Schubert SL. Issues in pay for performance: the case of diabetes self-management. J Health Care Finance. 2006 Fall:33(1):17-23.
- Merenstein D, Deiner-West M, Halbower A, Krist A, Rubin H. The trial of infant response to diphenhydramine: The TIRED study, a randomized controlled trial. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine. 2006 Jul; 160:707-12.
- North American Primary Care Research Group, Kuzel AJ, Diaz V, Devers KJ. The UK National Health Service and pay-for-performance: lessons for the United States. Ann Fam Med. 2006 May-Jun;4(3):275-6.
- Orleans CT, Woolf SH, Rothemich SF, Marks JS, Isham GJ. The top priority: building a better system for tobacco-cessation counseling. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2006 Jul; 31(1):103-6.
- Quillin JM, McClish DK, Jones RM, Burruss K, Bodurtha JN. Spiritual coping, family history, and perceived risk for breast cancer — can we make sense of it? Journal of Genetic Counseling. 2006 Dec; 15(6):449-60.
- Woolf SH, Johnson RE, Geiger HJ. The rising prevalence of severe poverty in America: a growing threat to public health. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2006 Oct; 31(4):332-341.
- Woolf SH, Stange KC. A sense of priorities for the healthcare commons. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2006 Jul; 31(1):99-102.
- Woolf SH. Weighing the evidence to formulate dietary guidelines. Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 2006 Jun; 25(3Suppl):277S-284S.
- Woolf SH, Krist AH, Johnson RE, Wilson DB, Rothemich SF, Norman GJ, Devers KJ. A practice-sponsored web site to help patients pursue healthy behaviors: an ACORN study. Annals of Family Medicine. 2006 Mar-Apr; 4(2):148-52.
- Akhavan A, Flores C, Green S, Hackett J, Nguyen M, Kerns JW, Knight K, Poddar S. Clinical inquiries: how should we follow athletes after a concussion? The Journal of Family Practice. 2005 Oct; 54(10):902-4.
- Krist AH. Evidence-based medicine: how EBM becomes a four letter word. The Journal of Family Practice. 2005 Jul; 54(7):604-6.
- Krist AH, Woolf SH, Rothemich SF, Johnson RE, Wilson DB. It takes a partnership: the value of collaboration in developing and promoting a web site for primary care patients. Annals of Family Medicine. 2005 July-Aug; 3 Suppl 2:S47-9.
- Pham HH, Devers KJ, Kuo S, Berenson R. Health care market trends and the evolution of hospitalist use and roles. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2005 Feb; 20(2):101-7.
- Krist AH, Johnson RE, Callahan D, Woolf SH, Marsland D. Title VII funding and physician practice in rural or low-income areas. Journal of Rural Health. 2005 Winter; 21(1):3-11.
- Longo DR, Hewett JE, GeB Schubert S. The long road to patient safety: a status report on patient safety systems. JAMA. 2005 Dec 14;294(22):2858-65.
- Riddle DL, Hillner BE, Wells PS, Johnson RE, Hoffman HJ, Zuelzer WA. Improving the diagnostic process for deep vein thrombosis in orthopaedic outpatients. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2005 Mar; (432):258-266.
- Satcher D, Fryer GE Jr, McCann J, Troutman A, Woolf SH, Rust G. What if we were equal? a comparison of the black-white mortality gap in 1960 and 2000. Health Aff (Millwood). 2005 Mar-Apr; 24(2):459-64.
- Wilson DB, Smith BN, Speizer IS, Bean MK, Mitchell KS, Uguy LS, Fries EA. Differences in food intake and exercise by smoking status in adolescents. Preventive Medicine. 2005 June; 40(6):872-9.
- Wilson DB, Porter JS, Parker G, Kilpatrick J. Anthropometric changes using a walking intervention in African-American breast cancer survivors: a pilot study. Preventing Chronic Disease. 2005 Apr; 2(2):A16. Epub 2005 Mar 15.
- Woolf SH, Chan EC, Harris R, Sheridan SL, Braddock CH 3rd, Kaplan RM, Krist A, O’Connor AM, Tunis S. Promoting informed choice: transforming health care to dispense knowledge for decision making. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2005 Aug 16; 143(4):293-300.
- Woolf SH, Glasgow RE, Krist AH, Bartz C, Flocke SA, Holtrop JS, Rothemich SF, Wald ER. Putting it together: finding success in behavior change through integration of services. Annals of Family Medicine. 2005 July-Aug; 3 Suppl 2:S20-7.
- Woolf SH, Krist AH. The liability of giving patients a choice: shared decision making and prostate cancer. American Family Physician. 2005 May 15; 71(10):1871-2.
- Woolf SH, Krist AH, Johnson RE, Stenborg PS. Unwanted control: how patients in the primary care setting decide about screening for prostate cancer. Patient Education and Counseling. 2005 Jan; 56(1):116-24.
- Woolf SH, Johnson RE. The break-even point: when medical advances are less important than improving the fidelity with which they are delivered. Annals of Family Medicine. 2005 Nov-Dec; 3(6):545-52.
- Adair G, Grant J, Pandhi N, Saunders R, Sadowsky I, West B, Kerns, JW, Knight K. Clinical inquiries: when should patients with stroke receive thrombolytics? The Journal of Family Practice. 2004 Aug; 53(8):656, 658-9; discussion 659.
- Church TR, Yeazel MW, Jones RM, Kochevar LK, Watt GD, Mongin SJ, Cordes JE, Engelhard D. A randomized trial of direct mailing of fecal occult blood tests to increase colorectal cancer screening. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2004 May 19; 96(10):770-80.
- Devers KJ, Pham HH, Liu G. What is driving hospitals’ patient-safety efforts? Health Affairs (Millwood). 2004 Mar-Apr; 23(2):103-15.
- Devers KJ, Liu G. Leapfrog patient-safety standards are a stretch for most hospitals. Issue brief (Center for Studying Health System Change). 2004 Feb; (77):1-6.
- Ebell MH, Siwek J, Weiss BD, Woolf SH, Susman JL, Ewigman B, Bowman M. Simplifying the language of evidence to improve patient care: strength of recommendation taxonomy (SORT): a patient-centered approach to grading evidence in medical literature. The Journal of Family Practice. 2004 Feb; 53(2):111-20.
- Ebell MH, Siwek J, Weiss BD, Woolf SH, Susman J, Ewigman B, Bowman M. Strength of recommendation taxonomy (SORT): a patient centered approach to grading evidence in the medical literature. American Family Physician. 2004 Feb 1; 69(3):548-56.
- Kerns JW. Clinical Commentary. Add exercise to routine post-MI treatment. J Fam Pract 2004:53:586.
- Krist AH, Woolf SH, Callahan D, Marsland D. Title VII funding and physician practice in rural and impoverished communities. Journal of Rural Health. 2004; 21(1):3-11.
- Kuzel AJ, Rothemich SF. Networks for new knowledge in family medicine. Annals of Family Medicine. 2004 Sept-Oct; 2(5):521-2.
- Kuzel AJ, Woolf SH, Gilchrist VJ, Engel JD, LaVeist TA, Vincent C, Frankel RM. Patient reports of preventable problems and harms in primary health care. Annals of Family Medicine. 2004 Jul-Aug; 2(4):333-40.
- Kuzel AJ, Woolf SH, Gilchrist VJ, Engel JD, LaVeist TA, Vincent C, Frankel RM. Patient reports of preventable problems and harms in primary health care. Annals of Family Medicine. 2004 Jul-Aug; 2(4):333-40. Full text.
- Kuzel AJ. Clinical research. In: M Lewis-Beck, AE Bryman, TF Liao (Eds.). The Sage Encyclopedia of Social Science Research Methods. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2004.
- Rimer BK, Briss PA, Zeller PK, Chan EC, Woolf SH. Informed decision making: what is its role in cancer screening? Cancer. 2004 Sep 1; 101(5 Suppl):1214-28.
- Sheridan SL, Harris RP, Woolf SH; Shared Decision-Making Workgroup of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Shared decision making about screening and chemoprevention: a suggested approach from the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2004 Jan; 26(1):56-66.
- Woolf SH A smarter strategy? reflections of fecal DNA screening for colorectal cancer. New England Journal of Medicine. 2004 Dec 23; 351(26):2755-8.
- Woolf SH, Johnson RE, Fryer GE Jr., Rust G, Satcher D. The health impact of resolving racial disparities: an analysis of US mortality data. American Journal of Public Health, 2004 Dec; 94(12):2078-81.
- Woolf SH. Society’s choice: the tradeoff between efficacy and equity and the lives at stake. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2004 Jul; 27(1):49-56.
- Woolf SH, Kuzel AJ, Dovey SM, Phillips RL Jr. A string of mistakes: the importance of cascade analysis in describing, counting, and preventing medical errors. Annals of Family Medicine. 2004 Jul-Aug; 2(4):317-26.
- Woolf SH. Patient safety is not enough: targeting quality improvements to optimize the health of the population. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2004 Jan 6; 140(1):33-6.
- Woolf SH. Patient safety is not enough: targeting quality improvements to optimize the health of the population. Annals of Internal Medicine 2004; 140:33-36.
- Yeazel MW, Church TR, Jones RM, Kochevar LK, Watt GD, Cordes JE, Engelhard D, Mongin SJ. Colorectal cancer screening adherence in a general population. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention. 2004 Apr; 13(4):654-7.
- Ball TA, Kerns JW, Nashelsky J. Do antiarrythmics prevent sudden death in patients with heart failure? J Fam Practice 2003 Sep;52(2):719-21 .
- Kuzel AJ, Woolf SH, Engel JD, Gilchrist VJ, Frankel RM, LaVeist TA, Vincent C. Making the case for a qualitative study of medical errors in primary care. Qualitative Health Research. 2003 Jul; 13(6):743-80.
- Kuzel AJ. Some lessons from the story of a funded project. Qual Health Res. 2002 Jan:12(1):140-2.
- Kerns JW, Mabry S, Lopez R. What is the best diagnotic approach to postmenopausal vaginal bleeding in women taking hormone replacement therapy? J Fam Pract. 2001 Oct;50:843-4.
- Woolf SH, Rothemich SF. Overuse of administrative data to measure under use of care. JAMA. 2001 Feb 14;285(6):736-7.
- Rothemich SF, Woolf SH, Johnson RE, Marsland DW. Evaluating the administration of an office-based health survey in a primary care practice. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 2000 Sept; 53(10):1002-1012.
- Witte TN, Kuzel AJ. Elderly deaf patients' health care experiences. J Am Board Fam Pract. 2000 Jan-Feb;13(1):17-22.
- Woolf SH, Rothemich SF, Johnson RE, Marsland DW. Selection bias from requiring patients to give consent to examine data for health services research. Archives of Family Medicine. 2000. 9(10):1111-1118.
- Kuzel AJ, Moore SS. Choosing a speciality during a generalist initiative: a focus group study. Fam Med. 1999 Oct;31(9):641-6.
- Woolf SH, Rothemich SF, Johnson RE, Marsland DW. The functional status of inner-city primary care patients. Diminished function in a family practice population and its potential determinants. The Journal of Family Practice. 1999 Oct; 47(4):312-315.
- Woolf SH, Rothemich SF, Johnson RE, Marsland DW. Is cigarette smoking associated with impaired physical and mental functional status? An office-based survey of primary care patients. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 1999; 17(2):134-137.